Monday 11 February 2013

ROMEO MUST DIE



 ‘Once upon a time, there was a king and a queen. They fell in love and lived happily ever after.’ How dreary are the happily ever after stories. As a child, I was fascinated when the young princess escaped the clutches of her evil god mother and lived a forever happy life with her prince charming who always had the perfect gelled hair and a baritone to die for. But as life started to take away my innocence and maturity started to bring out the worse in me, I started deriving sadistic pleasure from the tales of tragic love where the heart loved but destiny conspired against it. William Shakespeare knew that Romeo must die. He knew that the traditional concept of true love and happiness merging into forever together would have been yet another Barbie Disney tale. What is love without tragedy and what is love without jealousy.

Imagine a happy ending saga of Othello where instead of murdering the love of his life Desdemona under a fit of rage, the tale ended with them making castles by the beach and forever making babies. Picture Cleopatra and Mark Antony counting stars under the night sky or running towards each other in slow motion through a meadow of daisies instead of cruel act of committing suicide due to false news about the lover’s untimely death. What if Salim and Anarkali had a traditional nikah and lived forever together brushing their kathak  skills under the mirrored walls of the palace instead of the tragic episode of the beautiful Anarkali being entombed alive in a brick wall right in front of her beloved Salim’s eye. Tragedy is what made these tales immortal.

Maybe I am a jealous soul. Maybe I don’t like lovers ending up happy, atleast not in tales or movies. I want to see them love and then lose it. I want the universe working against their togetherness for their loss balms the bruises of all the time I was forced to let someone go. It makes me realize how my own nature can work against my own happiness. Sugar coated happy endings disgust me because my reality is far from it. While the heart smiles to the pleasant ending love stories, the soul connects to the tragic ones. The world is too messed up to let go of tragedy.

I am happy that Jack died in Titanic. I am happy Rose lived forever alone for the rest of her life reminiscing. I am glad the ship hit the iceberg for it depicts how sometimes you are destined to sail on the ship of disaster that rams into an iceberg. I want to feel the disappointment, rage and the frustration of the characters, because it makes me feel better about my own situation. Happy Love stories make me lament for my life isn’t effortless or blessed with love that breaks the shackles of the deformed mindset of the society I am part of. Like they say, Misery loves company. 

The reality is that we all have been victims of destiny not working in our favour at some point or the other. I happily embrace the tragic aspect of life because by not doing so I would be lying to myself and moreover I would lose the ability to understand that the meaning of human life goes beyond mere happiness. Forever gloating on the happily ever after tales and never accepting the tragic reality, makes life and us, a lot smaller. A happy ending is nothing but a serious misinterpretation. 

P.S- So tell me what do you prefer? A tale of happily ever after or a tragic love story.
P.P.S- I sincerely do miss writing, especially the humour loaded ones. But my mind has found enough excuses not to and hence I have succumbed to sheer laziness.

40 comments:

  1. A tale of happily ever after is simply impossible. I don't think there is any such. Though all the Disney Stories end up with this very line, but who knows what happens next and living happily ever after is very difficult, I guess.
    A tragic love story... well.. Not much of a love-enthusiast. So, neither this one.

    Just plain-old-simple-boring life sounds better to me. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah the first comment :) and plain old simple boring life....heheh I wish....but life never ends up that way right? :D

      Delete
    2. Yeah, First one to comment. :P

      Right. Life has its ups and downs. And Obviously doesn't stay being the same all the time.
      But when we dream of a happily ever after and don't end up with such a life, we feel sad/dis-heartened.
      And when we don't expect the life to an extraordinary life, then even a small pint of happiness makes a difference, right?

      Delete
  2. "happily ever after" does not exist. heart connects to the love and soul connects to the tragedy because that is the reality. there's no love without tragedy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. its a pleasure reading you read
    what a thought and so very true
    cant imagine the classic characters living happily ever after
    Rather they live in our hearts thereafter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those characters became Classic only coz of it. Always look forward to your comment :)

      Delete
  4. I love tragic endings too and I used to wonder at my pessimism, at my fascination with tragedy. I thought something was wrong with me, when I felt that if its true love then there is no happily-ever-after. Thank you for writing this, for, now I know I’m normal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheh there are many like us, I promise!!! Tanks for reading babe

      Delete
  5. What's light without darkness
    What's high without a low
    What's happiness without a tragedy.
    One would be able to appreciate the goodness better only when one experiences the bad side of things!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly....to truly understand happiness one must have gone through tragedy!!Thanks!!!!

      Delete
  6. Heheheheh ...You should've met Yash Chopra ,he would've changed the happy endings of all his movies :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish!!! Hahah I have never liked his movies...too dreamy for me. :D

      Delete
  7. I believe in whatever you just wrote :)

    Destiny is fate?

    ReplyDelete
  8. As i read, my cheeks dropped , with vaccum setting in my eyes, i can't tell if i realize this unnerving truth..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess whatever is honest writing. Well to be honest, tragedy sells over happily ever afters..;

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those stories have become 'eternal' for the very reason that they were tragic.

    yes , we all connect to such tragic love stories. Some comfort in sharing pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha the comfort of sharing pain. yes we all are mean souls :)

      Delete
  11. I found your blog from a random google search which lead to one of your rib tickling post. Needless to say, i was glued and read all your posts. It seems like you are in boat load of pain and confusion right now which i don't give a damn as it is your life . You made me and lot of others laugh and that is a gift! So start writing your famous quips and humor posts, it is so much fun to see things through your writings.

    -A fan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know comments are what keeps a writer write....to know someone out there actually reads your posts gives innocent happiness :) Yes I shall write more of humour. I haven't for quite sometime and now I know that I must because of you. Thankyou :)

      Delete
  12. I kind of agree with what you say. I do tend to link my life with stories. I somewhere too want people to suffer if I had to. yeah it makes me sound bad.. but I guess that how I am!

    First time here, loving it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh!! You are not bad...we are humans with human like tendencies. Natural :D. Welcome to my stupid little blog :)

      Delete
  13. Happily ever after is for cartoons and fairy tales. In reality, even those who seem to be happy do not live a life like it appears. So I think that tragic love stories hold a mirror to reality more than the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happiness truly is a state of mind. doesnt involve full time dreamlike existence! Thankuuuu

      Delete
  14. Happily ever after is so boring and unrealistic, we women love to feel and cry when we read books and watch movies.Besides happily ever after romance stories are dangerous for young girls.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Red, I was thinking "why this kolaveri!!!" as I read your post :P Though I know happy endings are just impossible in reality and they are just meant to be in fairy tales, I would love if people got together. Yeah, I know life would not be happily ever after for people who got together after all the odds. Life would just throw more shit in their way as it always does. :)

    Anyway, I totally agree that people need to accept the tragic side too. Me not wanting to accept it will not make it non-existent. So my choice would be to try to accept whatever life gives while the heart wants what it wants ;)

    Loved reading your post!!!

    Keirthana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Yeah, I know life would not be happily ever after for people who got together after all the odds. Life would just throw more shit in their way as it always does. :)"
      SOOO VERY TRUE!!!!! Life truly is a bitch. ..or the people around u turn it that way for you

      Delete
  16. I thought I was the only in-closet sadist. Thanks for relieving me! :D And yes, tragic love stories seem much more real than the cat and mouse sharing a piece of cheese in a bed of roses. Loved this one for your sheer honesty. Love it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha cat and mouseee...hahahahahahaha..........and yes you are not alone...sadist is a concept religiously followed by many :P

      Delete
  17. it is as simple as that happily ever after does not exist

    ReplyDelete
  18. you know what ...seriously red ..it is because of rationally thinking and shutting close all of the doors of your heart for doing the right thing to do kind of women like you that we are lossing up on love these days ,, i say fuk u ...!!
    women are strong that way ,,they even have options ..they take feelings way too lightly now days ... you guys owe ur heart ,,,let it out someday do the crazy ... cause you know what that is the right thing to do ,,,!!eat that ,,,!i empathise with the other sex of your love story ,,,!! may b i dont know the whole story ...! but i thot i had it in me to bring out the happilly ever after in my gal ...she is just another one of those rationally thinking doing the right thing to do kind of women ,,! fuk that ,,!! i don know how to deal with that ... i mean women thinking rationally ...!1 shaking my head in despair ,,!1 loll...

    ReplyDelete
  19. and then you say that you are a sadist and you start to even take pride in it now ,,,!! what else will happen if you kill ur feelings and do the right thing ,,!! how is that the right thing to do n eways ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MY GOD!!!! Some girl killed you dint she!!!!??!! I never said anything about my love story or the fact that I shut down what my heart wants. Nah! I just said about stories and love being immortalized coz they dint workout. I love reading such stories. Y u boiling ? and tellme frankly, when you are sad and u see life not working out your way, dont u get a little sad or jealous even when people really close to u have things turning out perfect? Isnt it just normal? M no saint! I just meant Misery loves company.
      Btw, if a woman let you go because of her so called rational thinking, Let her be. Just respect it even if its full f crap! Its a decision for her to lament about later or rejoice.

      Delete
  20. I never said anything about my love story .... yes u did ,!!...urs is one blog i always read intently making sure not missing even the tinest of detail ..!!
    and even if u hadn i know it n e wayz ...!!

    and if sad endings are a must ,,,y must the romoe be the one to die ,,, if any one must die it should be juliet ...!! cause its always her fault .. its her fault that she is fucking magically insanely irresistable ,,lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah....If it gives you solace, Mumtaz died much beforeher Shah...so did anarkali..hehehe.We too can die for the love you know :D.
      nd hey! That first para made me smile. Thanks!!!

      Delete

Spit It Out I Say !!!